HEADED FOR HELL, BELIEVING IN JESUS
By: Rex Duff
The Bible states in Romans 9:1-3, “I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:”.
The Bible also states in Galatians 1:6-12, “I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.”
In both these passages of Scripture, the Apostle Paul is addressing lost brethren. Paul being a Jew, considered all Jews, his brethren. It is probable, that there were also lost Jews in the Churches of Galatia . If these brethren weren’t Jews, than Paul was calling lost Gentile believers, brethren. This is doubtful. In any event, the context tells us being born a Jew doesn’t save you, or following another gospel, shows you are lost!
This is very important, when dealing with the book of Hebrews. Many original Greek Manuscripts stated, The Epistle of Paul the Apostle, to the Hebrews.
With this in mind, it is very important to remember that when dealing with letters from Paul to Jews, that the word brethren does not mean a saved person always.
It is my strong belief, that the reason Paul wrote to the Hebrew believers, was that He was concerned about their Salvation.
Too many Independent Baptist Preachers, try to explain how these Hebrew brethren (to Paul), are simply backslide. Is this the message from Paul? It is time for Independent Baptist to admit that believers are lost in Hebrews Chapter Six. I am not saying they lost their salvation, but, they NEVER WERE SAVED!
Probably the best background for Hebrews is Deuteronomy Chapters 1 and 2. In Chapter 1, the Hebrews having left Egypt, went to Kadesh-barnea. God told them to cross over the Jordan, (a picture of the new birth) and go into Canaan the promise land. (A picture of the Christian walk on earth) Chapter 1 verse 32 states, “Yet in this thing ye did not believe the Lord your God”. Verse 40 states, But as for you, turn you, and take your journey into the wilderness by the way of the Red sea. However, notice the response of the Jews, after God stated it was to late! Chapter 1, verses 41- 45 states, “Then ye answered and said unto me, We have sinned against the Lord, we will go up and fight, according to all that the Lord our God commanded us. And when ye had girded on every man his weapons of war, ye were ready to go up into the hill. And the Lord said unto me, Say unto them, Go not up, neither fight; for I am not among you; lest ye be smitten before your enemies. So I spake unto you; and ye would not hear, but rebelled against the commandment of the Lord, and went presumptuously up into the hill. And the Amorites, which dwelt in that mountain, came as bees do, and destroyed you in Seir, even unto Hormah. And ye returned and wept before the Lord; but the Lord would not hearken to your voice, nor give ear unto you”.
Maybe, you are a Church member who responded to a “Gospel Message”, like this tract, which was printed by an Independent Baptist Church in McQuady, Kentucky. To be fair, I am printing the complete tract, so no one can say I am being unfair to this Baptist Church.
God’s Plan for Salvation
*My friend: I am asking you the most important question of your life. Your joy or your sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is, are you saved? It is not a question of how good you are, nor if you are a church member, but are you saved? Are you sure you will go to heaven when you die? God says in order to go to heaven you must be born again. In John 3:7, Jesus said to Nicodemus, “Ye must be born again which means to be saved. His plan is simple! You can be saved today. How?
You must realize that you are a sinner. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Ro. 3:23)
Because you are a sinner, you are condemned to die, “For the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23). This includes eternal separation from God in Hell. “…It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.” (Heb. 9:27)
BUT, God loved you so much he gave his only begotten Son, Jesus, to bear your sin and die in your place. “For he hath made him (Jesus who knew no sin) to be sin for us… that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” (2 Cor 5:21)
You see, Jesus had to shed his blood and die so that you might receive pardon for your sins “… without the shedding of blood there is no remission (pardon) of sins. (Heb 9:22)
“But God commendeth his love for us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Ro. 5:8)
Although we cannot understand how, God said my sins and your sins were laid upon Jesus and he died in our place.
“God…NOW commandeth all men everywhere to repent” (Ac 17:30) This repentance is a change of mind concerning the following:
Who you are, a sinner; Where you are, in sin; and Why you need Jesus, for he is the only Saviour.
The Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas: …, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” And they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved…..”
Simply believe on him as the one who bore your sin, died in your place, was buried, and whom God resurrected. Jesus’ resurrection powerfully assures that the believer can claim ever lasting life when Jesus is received as Saviour.
“But as many as received him, to him gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name” (John 1:12)
“For whosoever shall call upon the Lord shall be saved,” (Ro. 10:13)
In Luke 18:13, a sinner prayed: “God be merciful to me a sinner.”
Surely you realize that you are a sinner. Right now, lift your repenting heart towards God in prayer and ask him into your heart forever.
WHAT IS THE REAL DANGER OF THIS TRACT? THIS TRACT WILL SAVE NONE, & GIVES FALSE ASSURANCE!
1. Repentance is not thinking (a change of mind) that you are a sinner, in sin, needing a Savior. Repentance is not SIMPLY BELIEVING ON HIM! BUT, --- Repentance is turning from sin, and turning to God as Lord. It is a totally surrender of ourselves to God. The Bible states in Acts 26:20, … “repent and turn to God.”
2. Nowhere in the Bible does it say to receive Jesus as Savior. (We must receive Him as LORD!)
3. In the opening paragraph, this tract says you can be saved today? This is a false promise. No one gets saved without Bible Conviction, from God, and the Drawing of the Holy Spirit (John 16:8-13). The Bible states in John 12:32, “And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me”. NO Church should try to get decisions using live drums, with a carnal beat! It is important to remember that we cannot get saved when we want to, but we must respond when God permits us to! Just like in the days of Noah, there comes a day when God will no longer deal with man (Genesis 6).
Notice what the Bible states in Matthew 24:4-5, “And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many”.
These verses, stated by Jesus, do not say Preachers will say they are Christ. This would deceive no one. However, they will proclaim Jesus is the Christ, and lead many BELIEVERS IN JESUS, straight towards Hell!
You might ask, why have I brought all this up, I thought we were discussing Hebrews? The simple truth is, just like the Hebrew believers, we have current believers, who need to take the 7 deadly warnings found in the book of Hebrews. These are not warnings to backslidden Christians, but to lost believers! I call these the 7 deadly if’s, in the book of Hebrews
Remember 1 John 2:19, “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us”.
1. Hebrews 3:14, “For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;”
Can anyone say this is warning backsliders, not to backslide? The problem is, a pig returns to the mud. A goat returns to the world, unless he has been transform into a sheep, by God. It took God to make the transformation, it can only take God to undue the transformation, and God promises us that He will never leave or forsake us! (Hebrews 13:5)
2. Hebrews 6:4-6, “For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.” These three verses tell us just how close you can come to Salvation, and still die and go to Hell.
a) once enlightened – These people knew how to be saved, they were not deceived! The Greek word for enlightened is – made to understand.
b) tasted (Greek – to receive an impression of something) of the heavenly gift. – These people had been to a Spirit filled service, and had felt the moving of the Holy Spirit.
c) made partakers (Greek – a sharer, a participant ) of the Holy Ghost. They had experience Holy Ghost Conviction, they had had their eyes opened. This does not save a person, but only permits a person to be able to choose Salvation.
d) tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come. Here these Jews had received an impression, of the power of God’s Word, and the benefits of being a Christian, now, and when one dies.
HOWEVER, they rejected the Gospel, went back to the world, the flesh, and the Devil, and God stated, He was finished with them.
3. Hebrews 12:8, “But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.”
It is amazing to see all the professing Christians who are not in Church, don’t read their Bibles, don’t pray, could care less about Spiritual Things, and are not spanked by God! According to this verse they are not backslide, but LOST!
4. Hebrews 12:25, “See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:” This verse teaches us that those who don’t stay with God, will go to Hell (no escape), because they were never transformed!
5. Hebrews 10:26, “For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,” If a person goes back to a life of sin, after he, for a while lived a Christian life, he is not backslide, but lost!
6. Hebrews 10: 38-39, “Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.”
These two verses tell us, a person can backslide, but a person can depart from God because he was never truly Saved. How can you tell the difference? A wise preacher once told me this, A backslidden Christian doesn’t stay backslide for long. He also has guilt. However, a lost religious man, stays in his sin.
7. Hebrews 2:3, “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;”
This verse clearly tells us that if we put off Salvation, we might put it off to long, and end up in Hell!
In closing, if you are a believer in Jesus, headed for Hell, come to the Lord Jesus Christ, crying out for mercy, giving your all to Him, pleading for your Salvation, before it is to late!
| General Editor: Rex Duff | Webmaster: Charles Felts | Updated: 03/01/2008 |